Back to the Match scene.

IMG 20200628 165017 552 1

After a very long break from match fishing, I decided to give it another go.

I found out that there was a match on a local lake, I just couldn’t resist the urge to give the match scene a go again.

Arriving at 8am to see a busy car park full of keen matchmen ready to hit the lake. I will admit it was rather intimidating at first.

Luckily enough I drew a decent peg which provided shelter from the strong winds on the back of an island.

The Approach

With the match only being 4 hours long, I didn’t depend on the shallow margins to produce. After a few casts with just a small lead I found a small gravel patch just of a tree on the island.

With it being a short match I didn’t want to introduce much loose feed, instead I wanted to fish for a bite at a time.

The method feeder ticked every box for this approach. Armed with a Korum 45g Dura method feeder loaded with a 50/50 mix of Sonubaits Supercrush green and 50:50 Method and Paste Green as my groundbait.

All in

From the start I knew it was going to be tough but not long in the tip wrapped round and a small F1 was in the net. Not long after that I had another F1 in the net.

Looking around I could only see the odd small silver being caught. I knew I had to keep pushing and sit it out for the bigger bonus fish rather than catch smaller stuff.

One more F1 graced the net, and this one being the bigger of the three.

All went quiet, no matter what I did I couldn’t buy a bite. Then I noticed a decent sized ghostie cruising just past where I was. I had to jump on the opportunity of seeing what could be a complete game changer of a fish. I changed over to a zig and it wasn’t long until I had the ghostie on the end of the line. It was fighting like a demon and then all of a sudden it went slack. Unfortunately I lost that fish and then continued to struggle for the rest of the match.

I pushed through right until I heard “all out”.

Weigh in

I hate this bit. The waiting around while you pack away, not knowing how everyone did.

Did I do enough?

The scales turned around to 8lb 2oz. I didn’t know what to think until I was told the biggest weightso far was 3lb.

Then it was confirmed, I had come first.

Over the moon to say the least, may of even ignited the flame again to get back on the match circuit.

Anyway, after a hard days fishing I’m going to unwind and erm……

Yes, I’m going back out fishing.

By Peter Baker

Opportunist angler who makes the most out of every session regardless how long it is.
I believe that effort equals rewards.

Leave a Reply