Brian Holland

A Change in Tactics

It has been a few hard months; I have stuck so far with the tactics that have continued to get bites during the winter months but alas this year it has been but a blank. I have even tried a bit of drum and bass (apparently the ultimate carp weapon) but this had no effect what so ever to increase the capture rate.

Anyway, I have chosen this session to come off pop ups and go to bottom baits with a PVA mesh bag of Pellets.

As my club waters have now re opened after a month hiatus, I chose to go to a lake I know well with every chance of a bite. (So, you would think).

On arrival at 5.30 am with the mist rolling over the lake and the sun breaching the horizon it looked a good session was to be had, now as this was the first day, I was expecting the lake to be overrun with Carp men in even conceivable swim, so it was a surprise to find that only 3 people had shown up. So, with 6 acres of water that had not seen a line in a month happy days.

I chose a double swim that is on a small spit that commands the centre of the lake where there are reeds to the left, and small over hanging trees to the right, just off to the right there is weed bed that when its up will cover most of the right-hand side of the open water, straight ahead the weed bed stops and it is underneath a power cable that runs the length of the lake, to this point is where you can pick up bites.

With a spread of boilies at this point each rod had a 15mm on a standard hair rig cast to it.

The day being cloudy with the sun breaking through confidence was high that I could entice a bite, but alas not even a knock. As dusk fell and the night gradually fell into place, I retired to the bivvy for my evening meal. It was around midnight that the alarm started beeping with continual knocking from Bream. If I know a lake has bream in, I tend to fish a long hair as I have found that though they can pick up the bait they do not tend to hook themselves.

At 2.00 am a single beep followed by a screaming alarm told me I was in, hoorah.

As expected with night it was pitch black and a mist had fallen on the lake, so the fight to bring the carp in was completely done by the sense of feel. As I could see the line at all, I was going by where the tip of the rod was positioned to where in the lake the fish was. Its run had given it at least another 50 yards somewhere in the lake, which I believed that it headed to the reed bed to my left. I was retrieving line quite quickly, but it surged every time the line was taken, so I was losing what I had gained, this went on for about 10 minutes. Playing the fish which, I believed was still about 20 yards out I was surprised when a big swirl at about 10 foot in the centre of the swim materialized.

I was now scrambling for the net whilst trying not to give it line again, I kicked the other rod and tripped over the cradle but still managed to stay in control. (Note to myself make sure everything is at hand). With the net now in the water I was able to land the fish. A large mirror graced the net.

I removed the hook whilst it was in the net and then let it rest whilst I got my phone for pictures and scales to weigh it. At this point I managed to injure myself again, I got the scales out of the bag but could find the hook to hang the weigh sling from, so rummaging through the bag I stab myself with a tent peg in the side of my hand. So bloody dangerous this fishing.

Anyway, with the fish bought in and weighed at 21lb I was happy, but the way the fishing had been going at present a 10lb would have made me happy. I returned him to his abode and put the rods out in the mist as best I could (NB: – should have clipped up for the distance).

Got to learn to take night shots

At about 3 am another run on the same rod, sadly to say this one avoided capture when it managed to dislodge the hook against the weed bed to the right.

I did have another common of about 14lb on Sunday night.

So, two fish over the 48 hours I was happy with. Roll on next weekend.

Tight lines all

#the _bridge_troll

Leave a Reply